Thursday, December 9, 2010

Matchy Matchy





A piece of advice I typically give is to not attempt to match the exact same colors. Being matchy is often distracting, boring (and sometimes even ugly). It's far better to put colors that are in the same palette together.

It may seem, at first glance, that in this outfit I'm not taking my own advice. I'm wearing a fairy pink open sweater, a beige-ish shirt with similarly colored boots.

But alas.....I'm saved by the dark jean and the dark belt. Essentially, these two items "break it up" by contrasting with the pastel colors almost a little forcefully. The belt also acts as a defining point that keeps me from looking like a blob.

What this means friends is that, like most "rules" there's always a way around them. You can have the same colors in different places, but you have to do it right.

It's not always easy to tell what colors go well together, especially if you've never given it a thought before. Enter stage left; Adobe Kuler. This website is heaven in the form of 0's and 1's. But seriously, you create a username for free, and are able to explore the world of combining colors!




If it looks complicated don't worry, it's so easy, a cave man could do it and it really is a fun way to learn a lot about colors that go well together.

 I'm sure that pretty soon,  I'll see you with your own twists on color combination.


Fondly,
The Style Scribe

No comments:

Post a Comment